How to join the Huntington Community First Aid Squad:
Register for an American Heart Association "BLS Provider" course or the American Red Cross "CPR / AED for Professional Rescuers" course. It takes 3 hours to complete.
- Once you have CPR certification, you will receive the HCFAS blue application.
- Complete and return the application. HCFAS will mail letters to your references.
- You will be invited to a personal interview. You will be asked why you want to join the Squad, and be given additional information about HCFAS policies and procedures. You will be asked to sign a Disclosure Form allowing us to do a Background Check. You will also take a Squad-paid medical exam which will include a drug test.
- Go to a Squad physician and complete the medical exam.
- When all forms have been received, your file will be brought to a Board of Directors meeting to review your application, references, background check, medical exam, and the recommendation of the members attending your personal interview. The Board will make a decision, and you will be notified promptly.
- Congratulations! You are a now a member and receive your membership number.
- You will attend Dispatch Training classes for two weeks, then dispatch train on your shift until you pass a dispatch exam and attend Ambulance Orientation prior to riding an ambulance.
- You have 18 months to enroll in a NYS Emergency Medical Technician course and 3 years to achieve EMT certification. New members serve a 1 year probationary period.
- If you have any questions about the process or you are already an EMT, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
April of 2019: 530
Last year for April: 473
Year to date: 1999
Last Year YTD: 1946
News & Events